Sunday 15 August 2010

**Breaking News** Wolves win NOVA Open

Well, despite all the net celebrities in attendance at the NOVA Open this weekend it was a 16 year old local, playing a "sub-optimal" Wolf list who took down 2 Logan-Wing lists, 2 Razor-Wolf lists and a heavy Sear-Council Eldar list on the way to the final game where he took down a Blood Angels list to win the tournament.

Congratualtions Tony, here's his list:

Njal

Wolf Lord, Thunderwolf Mount, Powerfist, Storm Shield, Saga of the Bear, Wolf Tooth Necklace

Rune Priest, Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, Jaws of the World Wolf

5 Wolf Scouts, Meltagun

8 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Mark of the Wolfen + Wolf Guard, Combi-Melta Powerfist in Rhino.

2 more of same, but with 7 Grey Hunters instead of 8.

2 x 5 Grey Hunters w/ flamer in Twin-Linked Lascannon Razorback.

8 Fenrisian Folves.

2 x 6 Long Fangs, 5 Missile Launchers

(edited by Claws and Fists to make list clearer)

6 comments:

  1. Man, Space Wolves are so broken!

    Sounds like he had an awesome game against Stelek. Can't believe he's only 16 tho makes me feel old and jealous lol

    As for his list I'm still not convinced by Njal but the one thing I have learnt from Nova is that I want some Wolf Scouts in my Open War list...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't call this sub-optimal, it's still a space wolf army.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi TimW, I think that Andy (Fudal) means sub-optimal compared to the squeeze every point Razorwolf lists we've been seeing on t'internet. Personally, I feel it's a bit top heavy with 3 HQs and, at 245 points, I think that Njal is overpriced for what he brings to this list. I think I would have preferred to see some Land Speeders or TWC in the Fast Attack slot myself.

    Having said that, the guy won the tournament so it can't be that bad a list!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put “sub-optimal” in inverted commas because I don’t necessarily believe in net-lists or what the internet perceives as “uber”. However I think many players would consider that taking Fenrisian Wolves, only 2 packs of Long Fangs, 3 HQ choices and only 2 LasPlas Razorbacks in a tournament list was nothing short of madness.

    It’s nice to see someone win with a list which is clearly not a cut-paste job from a forum somewhere. Looks like a list he’s developed himself, has tactics for it and knows how to play well. I think it really proves that there’s more to this game than min-maxing a list and pointing it at your opponent.

    I wonder how he played it though? The only reason I can think of for the Wolves is ablative wounds for Njal or, more likely, the TWC Lord but surely not both. If they’re not for Njal, how is he protected (Possibly in a Long Fang Pack?) and how did he play Njal to get the most out of him. Were the two Razorbacks included purely for home base control and fire support with the two packs of Long Fangs. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it were me (with my years and years of experience on the tournament scene lol) I'd have put the TWolf Lord with the Fenrisian Wolves and then Njal would have gone in a Rhino with a Grey Hunter pack. Keep the Rhinos pretty close together so he can cover them all with Stormcaller while knocking out enemy vehicles with Living Lightning and building up his Lord of Tempests.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah ha, I assumed that he was in his terminator armour but i guess that's not a given!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails