Wednesday 11 August 2010

Across the Sea

Even though Andy is the wrong side of the Atlantic, he's sent me a link for a tournament at Maelstrom. This got me thinking about what kind of list I'd take. Last time I went to Maelstrom to watch Andy play the tables were absolutely covered in terrain and each one had a huge LOS blocking piece slap bang in the centre. With that in mind I discounted my current list as its long range shooting would be severely neutered. What I would need instead is shorter ranged killing power. This led me back to the squad that I used when I first got back into the game back in November:

10 Grey Hunters, 2 Meltaguns, Power Weapon, Rhino

I hadn't played the game in years and when I had done you had to take Grey Hunters in squads of 10 so I automatically did that again. Now, this squad is 205 points but I think we can probably drop the Power Weapon so we're left with 190. In short range fire fights you get the anti-tank of dual Meltaguns and the protection from small arms fire of the Rhino. Now, I don't know what the missions will be but lets assume they'll be pretty similar to the Open War ones so we'll need lots of troops. Also, let's take a squad with two Plasma Guns for sitting on our home objective and one with dual Flamers as well.

10 Grey Hunters, 2 Meltaguns, Rhino

10 Grey Hunters, 2 Meltaguns, Rhino

10 Grey Hunters, 2 Meltaguns, Rhino

10 Grey Hunters, 2 Meltaguns, Rhino

10 Grey Hunters, 2 Flamers, Rhino

10 Grey Hunters, 2 Plasma Guns, Rhino

So, that's 1140 points. To be honest it's probably too many troops but killing 60 Space Marines isn't going to be easy for anyone. Since we're expecting lots of close quarters action lets back these guys up with a Land Raider Crusader. Who to put in it though? Well, I'm going to go with some Wolf Guard Terminators since the models are awesome. We want these guys to hit hard in combat so let's take a Wolf Priest to give them Preferred Enemy.

Wolf Priest, Terminator Armour

5 Wolf Guard, Terminator Armour, 1 with Wolf Claw, 1 with Power Fist, 1 with Chainfist, 1 with Heavy Flamer

Land Raider Crusader, Multimelta, Extra Armour

Okay, it's not a truly optimal list but it is different from the lists I normally run and that's what I like about it. Realistically I doubt I'll have enough time to paint that many men and if I did they'd have probably changed all of the tables but as a Theoryhammer exercise this has been pretty fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails